I’ve joined Carl of Stainless Steel Droppings’ Readers Imbibing Peril (RIP) Challenge. It’s actually the fourth time he has done the challenge, but my first time participating. It runs from September 1st to October 31st and the goal is to read a set number of books in any of the following sub-genres: Mystery, Suspense, Thriller, Dark Fantasy, Gothic, Horror, Supernatural, and have fun doing it.
There four options for the numbers of books to read:
- Peril the First: Read Four books of any length, from any sub-genre of scary stories that you choose.
- Peril the Second: Read Two books of any length, from any sub-genre of scary stories that you choose.
- Peril the Third: Read One book of any length, from any of the subgenres listed earlier in the post.
- Short Story Peril: Read a short story in one of the sub-geners and join in on “Short Story Sundays” on Carl’s blog
It’s not required to create a book list before starting the challenge but it seems to be something that’s generally done by the participants so I went ahead and created one as well:
- The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
- Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury
- I’m Looking Through You by Jennifer Finney Boylan (also fits the GLBT Challenge by Amanda of The Zen Leaf)
- Skin Folk by Nalo Hopkinson (also fits the GLBT Challenge by Amanda of The Zen Leaf)
- Absolute Brightness by James Lecesne (also fits the GLBT Challenge by Amanda of The Zen Leaf)
Five books listed, but I don’t know how many I’ll actually be able to read by October 31st so I think I might go for Peril the Second – but who knows, maybe I’ll read more.